Luke Cage was released on Netflix today!!! I have been waiting patiently for this show since I finished Jessica Jones (JJ) almost a year ago. Full disclosure, I don’t read a ton of comics, (something I’m trying to change) but I’d never even heard of Luke Cage until JJ (who I hadn’t heard of either until the series was released on Netflix). Now I am obsessed! Krysten Ritter and Mike Colter have some serious chemistry in Jessica Jones that really made the characters pop for me. The second Season One of Jessica Jones was finished, I wanted more of both her and Luke Cage. I was over the moon when they announced that Luke Cage would get his own show.
The cast looks amazing. Besides Mike Colter as the titular Luke Cage. Rosario Dawson will reprise her role as the nurse from JJ and Daredevil. Mahershala Ali will be playing Cornell Stokes (I look forward to learning who his character is from the show). Simone Missick will be playing Misty Knight. I hadn’t heard of Misty Knight but after reading her Wiki, I’m pumped to see her in this series. Maybe she will even get her own series? A girl can dream right! Theo Rossi is the super-villain Shades Alveraz (Shades Alveraz is a perfect villain name IMO). Alfre Woodard (!), who is one of my serious woman crushes, will be in the series too. She’ll be playing a villain… villains are the best, so I am greatly looking forward to her performance.
All in all there are some pretty big hitters in the cast and compared to the rest of Hollywood an incredibly diverse cast. It’s refreshing and exciting. Something that seems obvious to most people, but is apparently a shocker to studio execs, is that audiences want to see a cast that more accurately reflects America and its diversity.
Here are the basics I know about Luke Cage, all gleaned from season one of JJ (and the tiniest amount of googling). I’ve decided that before I read any in depth details about Luke Cage I want to watch this series’ first. (This paragraph may contain spoilers for Jessica Jones, if you haven’t already seen it). We first meet Luke at a bar where he is the bartender in Hell’s Kitchen. Later find out that he is also the owner.. Then we discover he has super strength, through a really cool fight scene with him and JJ. We also find out that he has super human skin that cannot be cut or burned, caused by experiments that were done on him when he was wrongly imprisoned. He has a lot of emotional baggage. His current girlfriend killed his wife for starters and that alone is a lot to deal with. He pours a mean glass of whiskey from the looks of it.
Here are the top 5* reasons I’m looking forwardthe premiere season of Luke Cage.
- Finding out his back story, what kind of experiments were they doing to make his skin become impenetrable? What did he go to jail for? How long has he owned his bar?
- More about his relationship to his first wife.
- All the villains. From what I’ve read they look awfully insidious and totally out for their own political gain. That makes the best kind of villains, and I hope there is at least one megalomaniacal monologue.
- The fight scenes. OMG I love a good fight scene. I can’t wait to see Luke Cage bash some skulls or maybe fight with the chain I often see him holding in cartoon depictions of his character. Smash some beer bottles over people’s heads or run them through doors. Whatever the creative geniuses at Netflix think up for fight scenes I want to see.
- I’m just really excited to be introduced to the character of Misty Knight.
*This is a bonus (and somewhat selfish) one, I hope JJ makes at least a small appearance... maybe… hopefully…
I fully intend on binge watching at least a few episodes this weekend. I will probably post a recap sometime in the very near future.